Q&A Forums

Flushing for winter cost of fluids Post New Topic | Post Reply

Author Comments
Jim Hollander
Posted: Oct 12, 2008 08:52 AM
Flushing for winter cost of fluids
I located a thorough procedure on flushing an E20 proportioner and hoses using DOP and solvent. If I use Dynasolve as the solvent, the entire procedure involves 11 gallons of the combined DOP and solvent. This is $750. IN FLUIDS. Does anyone have a tried and proven better way to put up the equipment for winter? Can the flushing solution of 50% DOP and 50% Dynasolve be saved and reused again in future flushings? What is the proper disposal method of the contaminated flushing solution when it is no longer useable? The fluids are $60. - $75. per gallon. Any good substitutes for flushing?

The 11 gallons involved "Filling two seperate 5 gallon buckets with the flushing solution of 2 gal. of DOP mixed and 2 gal. of Solvent" - presumed to be Dynasolve. Later in the procedure "Insert each pump in a single 5 gal. bucket containing 3 gallons of DOP..."
mason
Posted: Oct 13, 2008 08:11 AM
Yes, the solvents are expensive. Do not mix the Dyna-solve and DOP. They perform different functions for the flushing. The Dyna-solve rinses away the material, while the DOP prevents any A side material that is leftover from setting up. You cannot reuse the fluids unless they have been filtered properly(takes special equipment)

Ask your supplier if there is another fluid that can be used for the inititial flush out that is less expensive. But stick with the DOP or TCP for the final flush. (Also, leave the DOP in the lines).

Another way is to just run a little bit of material through your lines every couple of weeks. Lots less expensive. This keeps the A side form developing crystals in the proportioner and in the lines.
Linerman
Posted: Oct 13, 2008 06:53 PM
You're really not supposed to use just dynasolve cu-6 or cu-5 to flush iso because it will cause gelling you would first flush with dynaflush then your DOP.

For a MUCH cheaper flushing fluid use diesel fuel, when Mason first mentioned I thought that was crazy but I've talked to a few others and it works. You could also use hydraulic fluid to substitute DOP.
mason
Posted: Oct 14, 2008 08:04 AM
Spraypro,

Diesel fuel was the only fluid we used to recommend back when I set up rigs for ER Carpenter in the 80s for the initial flush, then we followed it with TCP and left it in the lines. It worked great. But, you have to make sure there is no water in the material.

As always, check with your supplier for their recommendation. Diesel fuel worked well with the "Carpenter foam back then but there may be differences in materials from company to company.
Posted: Nov 06, 2008 12:19 AM
Diesel Fuel...that is brilliant!

Brian Hunt
www.roofcrafterswest.com
Linerman
Posted: Nov 06, 2008 08:45 PM
Just don't leave the diesel in for more than a month(it starts to break down).
mason
Posted: Nov 08, 2008 11:28 AM
I would use the diesel for the initial flush followed by TCP or DOP. You can leave the TCP and DOP in the lines for months.

You need to login to reply to this topic. Please click here to login.