Q&A Forums

fishy odor Post New Topic | Post Reply

Author Comments
Ron McMullin
Posted: Apr 10, 2009 01:59 PM
fishy odor
I noticed that back in 2006 a contractor was having issues with fishy smelling foam. I sprayed a project during that time frame and the customers are claiming a fishy odor. I have seen no other posts since that time concerning this particular odor issue and wonder if the manufacture might have changed his formula. A manufacture rep arrived on the job, claimed responsibility, left and I have not heard from them since. The rep no longer works for the manufacture. He was the chemist who formulated the product. I think I will be left holding the bag on this one. I have read your posts concerning disproportionate resin/A, That was definitely not the issue. Do you have any ideas or helpful thoughts?
mason
Posted: Apr 10, 2009 02:17 PM
The "fishy" odor is coming from the catalyst used in the B side of the material. Some formulas have stronger odors than others.

The odor will be stronger when the weather is hot and if the foam is slightly B rich.

If the foam is sprayed on ratio, the odor will eventually go away. It may take a few weeks depending on the foam. I have heard of it taking longer.
Ron McMullin
Posted: Apr 10, 2009 03:22 PM
Well, it has been three years. The odor is definitely there and when you cut a sample, the odor is obviously coming out of the sample.

What can be done? Waiting is no longer an option. The customer has waited 3 years, though they have been in contact with me for the last 2.

I have not had the problem since I quit using that suppliers foam.

I know that I am not the only foam contractor with this issue. If you read the fishy foam posts, they reflect my exact experience.

Under no circumstance should the foam stink.
mason
Posted: Apr 10, 2009 08:35 PM
Sorry but my experience has been that the odor goes away if the foam is not slightly B rich.

Another possibility that the foam was sprayed too thick for the foam to cure properly. This would also cause an odor from the exothermic heat reaction of the foam.

You need to login to reply to this topic. Please click here to login.