Q&A Forums

Fire code requirements Post New Topic | Post Reply

Author Comments
Gary Galloway
Posted: Nov 21, 2007 11:31 PM
Fire code requirements
Mason,

Is there anywhere I can find a list of which foams do and do not meet code requirements without an ignition barrier in attic areas? I am told that Selection500 meets the requirement but would prefer other products. I would also like to find a closed cell product as I have a contractor that is getting ready to start several large homes and wants to insulate them with closed cell. I hate the idea of having to cover all of the foam with .25 inch plywood or an expensive spray coating to meet code requirements so I am looking for any and all foams that could be used without the ignition barrier in attic areas.

Thanks,
Gary
mason
Posted: Nov 22, 2007 08:19 AM
Click on the following link.
http://www.icc-es.org/Evaluation_Reports/index.shtml

This will give you a list of all of the ICC evaluation reports. You can search by name of company or by category.

The evaluation reports detail the specfic application, material and criteria for code compliance.
Gary Galloway
Posted: Nov 24, 2007 08:33 PM
In section 314.3 of the IRC it appears that if foam has a flame spread rate of less than 25 and a smoke index of less than 450 that an ignition barrier is not required in an attic or crawl space area as long as there is a thermal barrier between the foam and the occupied space. Do you read this the same way? I am getting a lot of different responses on this depending on who I ask. From what I can see some states read it this way and others require ignition barriers while both claim to use the same code standards. I even found one city that allows all open cell foam without an ignition barrier but requires one for all closed cell foams according to the fire codes they have posted on their websites. I would think there would be a uniform code but none seems to exsist. I even get two different oppinions from two different inspectors in the same city here so it is getting rather confusing. Any help in clarifying the real intent of the IRC code would be very helpful. There are several people here spraying products without an ES report that are not installing an ingnition barrier. The products in question do have an E84 class 1 rating. I am looking for a way to settle the debate as to weather or not a class 1 rating actually allows the products use in an attic or crawl space without an ignition barrier.

Thanks,
Gary

You need to login to reply to this topic. Please click here to login.