Q&A Forums

Fire Barrier Post New Topic | Post Reply

Author Comments
thomas malloy
Posted: May 06, 2008 06:15 AM
Fire Barrier
Just wondering what everybody is using for a fire barrier over spayfoam , and would love to know contacts on where to get it and the cheapest route possible for me please someone help me
mason
Posted: May 06, 2008 08:57 AM
Check with your suppliers for their recommendations. If you are talking about thermal barriers, there are cementitious coatings that can be mixed in a hopper and sprayed with a pole gun (such as Foamsafe or Thermacon), lightweight such as gunite or shotcrete, resin based thermal barriers such as Stayflex, cellulose based thermal barriers (K 13 or Ure K)

There are also intumescent coatings that have been approved as ignition barriers with specific foams. (NOTE: The specific foam and coating must have a current ICC Evaluation Report for it to be considered valid for building code approval)

Again check with your supplier.
richard sucher II
Posted: May 06, 2008 10:18 AM
Thermocon is not cementitious - it is cellulose based. It does not have large scale corner wall testing. Grace Zonolite 3306 is proven cement based thermal barrier. Also, K-13 cannot be used as a thermal barrier - you are correct in referencing Ure-K.
mason
Posted: May 07, 2008 09:00 AM
Cobb88, Thanks for the correction, blame it on brain damage. I was thinking of Zonolite. Thermocon used to be approved as a thermal barrier, but as with any product, check to make sure their approvals are current.

You need to login to reply to this topic. Please click here to login.