Q&A Forums

Curious Post New Topic | Post Reply

Author Comments
chad harris
Posted: Aug 07, 2009 12:04 AM
Curious
Mason, I was curious if you knew what part of the world used the most polyurethane foam. And if you knew what State in the U.S. used the most?
mason
Posted: Aug 07, 2009 07:12 AM
Coincidentally I am working with the Principia Consulting group on developing a SPF market report for North America. You can find out more of their SPF market survey at principiaconsulting.com

The new reports should be out in September.

To answer your question, the US uses the most sprayfoam as a country. Between roofing and insulation foam you probably have close to 300 million lbs a year. The new survey will break down the amounts by type of foam. (roofing, open cell and closed cell) plus by region. It will also try to provide some projections going into 2010 and 2011.

Canada uses more sprayfoam per capita than the US but still much smaller amount compared to the US.

Japan & China are probably next in line for total consumption of sprayfoam. In Japan, sprayfoam is used frequently in apartment and condo construction. Other countries that use a lot of foam include,Mexico, India, Spain and Germany.
South America uses a pretty fair amount of sprayfoam particularly Brazil and Argentina.

Florida, Texas, California and Arizona use quite a lot of foam particularly for roofing. The survey will break down the numbers per region. I am curious which state comes out on top. more than 1/3 of all roofs in Phoenix & Tucson are sprayfoam. The East Coast from Florida to Maine uses a lot more insulation foam than the West or Gulf Coast. States like Minnesota and Montanna also use a lot of foam for insulation.

You need to login to reply to this topic. Please click here to login.