Q&A Forums

Contego intumescent coating Post New Topic | Post Reply

Author Comments
Michael Pindell
Posted: Mar 19, 2009 05:45 PM
Contego intumescent coating
Mason (or anyone else)

any knowledge of this product?

They promote it as a thermal barrier for foam. They gave me ubc 26-3 testing data as well as ASTM E84-98 test results.

They say that ASTM E119 testing is going to happen this year.

Thoughts or comments?
mason
Posted: Mar 19, 2009 07:45 PM
They need to pass the E 119 to qualify as a thermal barrier. Ask for their ICC Evaluation report. It will tell with what foams and what applications it can be used with.
Michael Pindell
Posted: Mar 23, 2009 09:17 AM
Thanks for the response Mason

Another question. Contego's ubc 26-3 testing is done with osb as a substrate. Is this even a valid test? The name of the test is the standard for interior of foam plastic systems, so what does a test done with osb as a substrate even mean? There was no foam involved as far as I can tell. Is it at all valid to test with osb as a substrate? very confusing to me as to why a test for foam plastic is done with osb.
mason
Posted: Mar 25, 2009 08:21 AM
In order for the coating to be approved over foam it must be tested with the specific foam. So you are correct the test over OSB only approves its use over OSB not foam.
Posted: Mar 30, 2009 10:46 AM
New to this thermal barrier trade. As I am aware only three products would qualify at Thermal Barrier intumescent products
CAFCO T.B. 15
Flameseal T.B.
TPR2 Fireshell
All are considered Thermal Barriers per Scetion 2603.9 "special approvals"
Because none of these products have yet to pass ASTM E119 testing.
Jason
mason
Posted: Mar 31, 2009 07:43 AM
Jason,

The special approval section will qualify foam and coated assemblies combined but not invidual products. They need to pass E 119 to be considered a thermal barrier over all foam plastics.

You need to login to reply to this topic. Please click here to login.