Q&A Forums

Cold temps and intumescents Post New Topic | Post Reply

Author Comments
richard sucher II
Posted: Nov 11, 2009 10:57 PM
Cold temps and intumescents
Temps are pushing 50 degrees and falling and am looking at insulating crawl space walls with closed cell foam. Have researched a few intumescent coatings and all have application limitation of 45-50 degrees. Are there any out there that have recommended application temps lower than 45. I know that you can't go below freezing but a little lower range would help.
mason
Posted: Nov 12, 2009 08:43 AM
Any acrylic based coating will need higher temperatures than 50 degrees F to coalese and dry. However, there may be some intumescent coatings with different base resins that can dry and cure at lower temperatures. Check with the material suppliers for a list of coatings that can cure under colder temperatures.
Posted: Nov 13, 2009 09:23 AM
mason,,
i am reading here on the site
that a couple of manufacturers
claiming their foam can be left exposed without ignition barrier in
crawl spaces and attics,,that they recently achieved the testing to obtain icc-es documentation allowing this application...
if this is true,,,
couldnt this be an option for old cobb'er'oo???

i slung some foam
up in the air,,,
it hit the tub
way over there....
burma shave
mason
Posted: Nov 16, 2009 10:26 AM
I was forwarded a test report from a supplier that indicated their foam was tested in accordance with the new attic and crawl space test protocol and passed without a thermal, ignition or covering of any kind. I sent the report to Jesse Beitel who helped developed the new test protocol and was the engineer who coordinated the test program by SPFA's Task Group.

He responded that it appears the foam did pass the test.

I don't know if ICC ES has evaluated the test report and issued an evaluation report on the application yet.

Some code officials will want that evaluation report before accepting the foam without a thermal or ignition barrier in attics. But based on the information I read and the response from Jesse Beitel, it appears the foam should be acceptable w/out the ignition barrier in attics and crawlspaces.

You need to login to reply to this topic. Please click here to login.