Q&A Forums

codes question Post New Topic | Post Reply

Author Comments
Eric Sparks
Posted: Oct 17, 2006 10:16 PM
codes question
this may be a dumb question to some but i dont know the answer. where and how do i find or obtain a copy of the building codes for my area and surrounding states. is this a problem you run ever into. samething i have talked to some installers and they have told me on licenses and permits aare not a issue. please give me the truth. thanks
Dave Strnad
Posted: Oct 18, 2006 07:58 PM
You can find them at the local construction codes office. This would be the county office where building permits are pulled. If you don't know look in the phone book under government. If you don't have a local codes office as some rural areas do not. Then you would have to get ahold of the state codes office. Just go to the state website and search for construction codes. Now with that said the construction codes office may not have or will be willing to give you the answer that you want. Locally it is common practice to apply SPF at thickness less than required r-values. Even though it is better this is a gray area and most guys are putting the minumum on the invoice along with the thickness of SPF. If you do the math it doesn't add up but everyone lets it go, because they know its better. They wont pass it if you put a number down less than what the minumums are. I would talk to your manufacture and apply to the thickness that they recomend for your area, also ask for some documentation in case you have trouble.
Eric Sparks
Posted: Oct 18, 2006 10:19 PM
dave thanks for the answer and advice
Posted: Oct 19, 2006 10:37 PM
as i am told,,,
some open cell brands have icc approval/rateing to 6"
while some closed cell brands have icc approval/rateing to 4"....

"...i fought authority and authority always wins,,,,"

You need to login to reply to this topic. Please click here to login.