Q&A Forums

Certifications that mean business Post New Topic | Post Reply

Author Comments
Posted: May 13, 2008 03:24 PM
Certifications that mean business
I am still reading these posts about new-comers in the wall insulation business. For everyone who has been in the industry for a while, have you found any good certifications/credentials out there that really protect your business.

Are there certifications that really will separate you from the competition, get you into bigger jobs, at a higher profit margin? Certifications that get your referred and spec on good jobs.

If there are not, why not? Too hard to qualify? Too easy to qualify, so it doesn't differentiate contractors?

I know in SPF Roofing there are some supplier programs, like BASF's Alpha Contractor which appears to give the edge to some contractors who put themselves through the rigors of auditing? Does anything like this exist for insulation guys?

Kindly,

Brian Hunt
www.roofcrafterswest.com
Dena Sosebee
Posted: May 14, 2008 10:03 PM
The biggest problem with certifications is that the manufacturers and most distributors just want to move chemical. They are not interested in quality. Little do they realize that they are cutting off their nose to spite their face. They are merely interested in the here and now. I do not know of any manufacturers that blog on this site. This website would help them understand what the contractors are looking for.

Also, there are less than a handful of companies that I know of that care what type of work their customers do. They would never admit that, but they continue to sell to those who do poor work, which confirms their position.

There desperately needs to be a certification process and procedure that is upheld by the industry. However, always know there are some manufacturers that will sell anyone just to move chemical out the door.
Gerry Wagoner
Posted: May 17, 2008 09:07 AM
We have been certified by several manufacturers, but it doesn't mean much unless the customer requests that brand of material.

You need to login to reply to this topic. Please click here to login.