Q&A Forums

Catalyst Odors Post New Topic | Post Reply

Author Comments
Posted: Jun 26, 2008 12:35 PM
Catalyst Odors
Can you comment on the types of catalysts used in the interior insulation market versus the roofing market, and how it affects the detectable and objectionable odors after a job is complete? I keep hearing complaints of foam having a foul odor long after the application has been completed. It is years later in some cases.

Thank you.
Posted: Jun 27, 2008 12:24 AM
(poser)
mason
Posted: Jun 27, 2008 06:47 AM
Check out the earlier post on the same topic.
Posted: Jul 01, 2008 11:43 AM
I guess you missed my point. I was looking for a discussion on names of catalysts that are appropriate for use in insulation versus roofing and associated detectable odors. But, it sounds to me like a wave-off. So be it. I can get my information elsewhere. I just thought it would be helpful for those in the insulation business to have some general information on the subject.
Posted: Jul 01, 2008 01:19 PM
Mason,
Thanks for all the FREE information you provide in this forum. Its a huge respource.

-AT
mason
Posted: Jul 02, 2008 10:27 AM
Foamdude@,

There are a number of catalyst used by SPF manufacturers. There are metal and amine catalysts. The combinations are too numerous to get into a serious discussion. For example, a system may have 2 lbs of lead napthanate with 1 lb of Polycat 8. I don't think that helps you any in the selection process.

You need to login to reply to this topic. Please click here to login.