Q&A Forums

Botched Installation? Post New Topic | Post Reply

Author Comments
Eric Wood
Posted: Dec 04, 2006 08:14 AM
Botched Installation?
I'm building a new home with NewMark homes in the Dallas area. I paid for the spray-in expanding foam insulation on my roof (attic side not exterior side). The A/C ducting, phone, network, electricity wiring and such has already been installed but still there is no foam insulation. Is this expected? I would have thought that the spray-in foam would be applied before all of these other materials because now these other materials are fastened to the roof rafters and are in the way of a clean installation from my perspective? I'm going to speak to my builder about this but wanted an independent voice of authority on the matter as well. What is the proper sequence for this installation and what is my worst/best outcomes given what I have explained? Have I wasted the money on this?

Thanks in advance for your reply!
Luke Kujacznski
Posted: Dec 04, 2006 09:52 AM
I don't think you have wasted money. If the applicator knows what he is doing he should still be able to complete a good application. I would have foamed before all that stuff went in, but that is because it is easier not because you can't do it afterwards. Hope that helps.
Dave Strnad
Posted: Dec 04, 2006 12:58 PM
You have not wasted your money. SPF is an outstanding product, and if the applicator is reputable this is no problem. Personally I will not spray foam untill all of the rough inspections are done, electrical, mechanical, building,etc. If the builder or homeowner wants it done earlier I make them sign a hold harmless agreement. Sometimes certain applications require it, then the owner or builder usually pays for an additional inspection. This way the inspectors are satisfied. I have seen too many times where are inspector stops the project and makes the homeowner demo a wall to take a 2 second look at a pipe or wire. If I were to cover such items, I would be the first person called to pay for such a mistake. If applied right SPF can esily get in every nook and cranny. Some people still are unsure about SPF, but it is a great product. If you have hired a good installer, rest easy and wait for your first energy bill to make a judgement.

You need to login to reply to this topic. Please click here to login.