Q&A Forums

biofoam Post New Topic | Post Reply

Author Comments
FirstName LastName
Posted: Jan 19, 2007 06:19 PM
biofoam
i want to try biofoam, what brand is good, heard mostly negative about it. good and bad reports and what manufacturers?
Gerry Wagoner
Posted: Jan 19, 2007 09:19 PM
What is your reason for wanting to try it?

olger
Posted: Jan 19, 2007 09:24 PM
another good question would be; why would anyone want to use it instead of petroleum based foam?
Posted: Jan 20, 2007 09:07 PM
I just used a soy based rigid formula from a well known company, and was less than satisfied with the yield. Product characteristics seemed very spongy for a so called 2.0 lb system. It will be a while before Iam comfortable trying another bio foam. As with new systems I think a little more product development is needed. I cannot speak for the open cell systems, we have not yet tried them.
Circle-D
Posted: Jan 26, 2007 10:39 PM
For a rookie: What is the difference between a bio based and a petroleum based foam. I've heard a lot of negativity about bio but not many actual reasons why. Is it simply yield, or lack thereof or is the quality and r-values different with each type. Do they spray the same? I'm looking to enter the biz and don't want to start off on the wrong foot with a hard to use or less effective product.Thank you for your responses.
Posted: Jan 26, 2007 11:08 PM
Im still not sure what the attraction is to a bio based foam. considering the amount of energy regular foam saves, its all "green" foam.
Does anyone know what component the soy actually replaces in soy based foam? is it a filler?
Posted: Jan 27, 2007 06:22 AM
10-15% of the resin can be a bio-based oil..

consider that 1/2 of the system (the iso side)is a petrochemical dirivative no matter which foam system you use,,,it is the resin that can contain the "polyol"...
it can be a "bio" polyol,,petrochemical polyol, "polyester" polyol,,"sucrose" polyol,,"safflower" polyol... as well as a few others...they could brew with fryer grease like the bio-diesel folks do...

bio is a marketing angle...
foam is foam
foam is good
foam is green
no matter what its formulation...
Glenn Gamblin
Posted: Jan 27, 2007 09:35 AM
I have used closed cell bio foam from Demilec and my impression of it is that it sux. I initially wanted to use it to help support the soy farmers, but the truth is that it doesn't spray as smooth and I have yet to get over 3200 board feet of yield.
Gerry Wagoner
Posted: Jan 28, 2007 02:43 PM
3200 bf?

yuck
SprayFoamSupply.com
Posted: Jan 28, 2007 05:08 PM
biofoam from demilac? Never heard of that before.
Posted: Jan 28, 2007 06:58 PM
Thank you Glenngamblin it was the Demilec I used as well,and got the exact same results.I was at 2800 bdft, granted It was cold weather spraying but come on 2800. I was at 3700 the day prior with the petro blend, on the same site with almost exact temps. The skin texture also as you stated stinks. Im all for the soy blends why not utilize a renewable source,and lessen the demand for foreign oil. But come on its got to work. My concern is that according to my supplier Demilec is going soy on there Heatlok 217-0.
Tom Hudson
Posted: Feb 03, 2007 10:58 PM
We spent lots of time and money trying to use bio foam. After lots of effort, we gave up. As to what is wrong: Poor Adhesion, lots of pullback from edge, poor yield, just try to call for assistance and the company (in Ark) will not stand behind the product. The only part that is Soy (american farmer) based is polyol. Try UCSC for a succrose base polyol.

ARK bio foam Sux don't waste your time or money.

You need to login to reply to this topic. Please click here to login.