Q&A Forums

Basements and foundations? Post New Topic | Post Reply

Author Comments
Dave Strnad
Posted: Oct 14, 2006 09:06 PM
Basements and foundations?
What type of coatings can be used of spf when it is applied to the exterior or interior of basements? I recently used a rubberized stucco on blue board and was quite impressed with the outcome. Not sure about longevity though only time will tell. So this got me thinking if I sprayed the exterior of a basement what coatings should I use below grade? What type of decrotive coatings can I use above? What about the interior if I sprayed that directly on the block without furring what type of finish coating could I put on it. Is anyone out there doing similar? IS there a market for this? I think spray foam magizine had an article on exterior finish, but what coatings perform well and I'm not sure about below grade. I know that yield is less when spraying concrete, but is there anything else I should know?
Posted: Oct 16, 2006 05:51 PM
Spray foam well except almost any paint or coating as long as it's clean and dry.I suggest a good acrylic though.Why coat below grade? The reason for coating foam is usually to protect from UV.As far as the basement go's,Check local codes in new construction they may require a thermal barrier- (drywall)
Diana Hammond
Posted: Oct 19, 2006 06:46 PM
Some building codes may require that you damp proof the "plastic insulation", or foam if used below grade. As kevinmc suggested, check with your local inspector on what is approved. Depending on the manufacture, they may have an ICC report that gives approval for 2.0 pound closed cell to be applied below grade without damp proofing.
Aaron Scurlock
Posted: Oct 19, 2006 10:08 PM
This guy that used to come here, named Tom Hay knows a ton about finish quality products.

Maybe he's lurking? Ask him about it.
Posted: Oct 19, 2006 10:23 PM
foam on interior foundation walls MUST be covered with a thermal barrier...
this is true of all plastic insulation products,,board stock,,,icf,,,puf....
even in non-code jurisdictions,,,to do otherwise would expose you to liablity in the event of some unfortunate incident (read: the insurance company will come after your a$$)...your contract for services should include "WILL BE COVERED WITH AN APPROVED THERMAL BARRIER" not "should be covered..."

foam below grade only needs to be waterproofed/coated if circumstances such as a high water table exists subjecting the foam to hydrostatic pressure...at which case any waterproofing/dampproofing coating should be effective if it suitable to water exposure...
Posted: Jan 25, 2010 06:23 PM
Yes, you can spray foam on the exterior side of above grade foundations. I know of 2 foamers in Iowa that make their living by spraying above grade home foundations during the summer months.
DOES ANYONE KNOW ANOTHER CONTRACTOR WHO DOES THIS?
Please let me know, because to my knowledge, these two guys are the only people using SPF for this application.
Thanks ahead for any leads on this subject.
By the way, "Plastic Coatings" from WV has the only coating that I know of that is designed for foam that is applied to above grade, exterior foundations. It's called, "Jaxsan 600."
Posted: Jan 26, 2010 06:00 AM
they are foaming,,planeing/grinding/sanding to create a nice profile...
usually applying an acrylic coating base coat followed with a low pressure air pot applied roof type granule for abrassion resistance and then topping with the final color acrylic top coat...
real nice system,,works great,,lots of labor to do it right,,these guys are pro's...
Posted: Jan 26, 2010 09:22 AM
Foamdude, can you give me some contact information of a contractor that does foundations? I'd love to be able to talk to someone who's good at it. I'm trying to start my own foam business and foundations are one of the market segments I'm interested in, but there is very little information out there on this application. I had one house foundation that took me 3 weeks and my competitors showed up to the house across the street and did it in half a day. I would welcome ANY suggestions you might have.:-)
Rodney Schares
Posted: Jan 26, 2010 03:23 PM
Hey foamdude where bout you from?
I am on of those "Pros" in Iowa you referenced about.
Posted: Jan 26, 2010 08:46 PM
hey there,,,i am out of iowa city,,,my shop just south in the little burb of hills,,,my company is midwest poly-solutions..we are hillbilly foamers,,,lol,,,
i luv this stuff...
and yes indeed,,if you are one of the pro's at this application,,and can substantiate your claim,,send me your contact info i would be pleased to refer you work,,,there is a great demand,,,,,

cideford7,,,oh man this is gonna be tough,,tough luv man,,(this aint a popularity contest is my only consolation)not sure why they would share the tricks of the trade with you,,,not all are much of a loud mouf blo-hard like me,,,openly shareing of our daily bread,,,see the newbees are everywhere and the ruckus they are causin is not neccessarily good for this industry,,thank you lapolla,,demilec,,,biobased and the other vendors who dont give a damn,,its about the wingtips...i mean sheet,,,i got newbee-wannabe-posers whom i helped get off the ground,,for no monetary reimbursement whatsoever,, now callin my customers exclaiming they can do a better job for a better price with the foam they get from my warehouse,,or used too..lol,,,new years resolution: put them out of business,,they dont have the brains or integrity,,and it is the integrity what matters,,,now back to your question,,see another pro,,mikey for sake of discussion(his real name) tells me how he's been called a crook for chargein what needs to be charged to do this type of work(what is usual and customary) and stay in business,,,seems the newbees is out there biddin for half as much a square foot,,and then does a poopy job to tarnish the application vertues,,,(could this have been you???..sorry i had to...lol)you cant kick someone in the nuts and expect them to school you,,,you can learn to play in the sandbox,,understand the market and the real cost of doing business,, understand the virtues and values of relationships,,,and practice good buisness practice with high moral integrity,,
your material supplier should be able to educate you in the process,,,or they are posers as well only lookin to sell juice,,,if they cant,,search out another vendor who has the knowledge...
forgive me if i wrongly assume,,i post these thoughts to stimulate dialoge and thought,,,
peace (or should i change this to "godbless"?)
'dude
spray the foam on ratio...with a round pattern,,at a uniform depth,,,file,sand,plane to further enhance the profile,,,coat,broadcast granules,top coat,,,i think...rofl

he could have made
a million bucks
but instead gets his jollies
with the yuck yuck yucks...

burma shave
Rodney Schares
Posted: Jan 27, 2010 07:28 AM
Dude that company rings a bell.I think one of our reps have said it before.You do any moving of material with Jason Kron? I am not a newbee or a poser been sprayin this type of application now for 15 years and just when you think you got her down something always changes.....Good luck Cjdeford gotta earn your keep and like dude said "INTEGRITY"
Jason Kron
Posted: Feb 03, 2010 08:25 PM
wow just registered and already getting my name involved :)
Rodney Schares
Posted: Feb 04, 2010 07:28 AM
Hey Jason,Rod with Arctic Seal how's old man winter been treatin you?

You need to login to reply to this topic. Please click here to login.