Q&A Forums

ARRGH Post New Topic | Post Reply

Author Comments
Posted: Apr 29, 2008 06:57 PM
ARRGH
so after working with the same open cell vendor for about 2 years,,,(great product,,great yield,,fair price)
they switch their resin drums to "lower their bottom line"....
they switch drums to drums that are now ~1" shorter than the standard drums,,you know,,the drums which accomodate ipm drum pumps with the proper bung adapater which assures proper mechanical assembly to allow safe transportation of chemicals up and down the road and into and out of job sites...
so,,not only can you not secure the clasps on the bung adapter to the drum pump..but more importantly,,,the drum pump is now sitting on the bottom of the drum and the flow of the fluid to the foot valve is reduced,, significantly...

in addition,,,these reconditioned drums do not have a chime which will accomodate a chime clamping type drum clamp,,you know,,the wesco type.the kind you can grab a drum by the lower chime and keep your forks low and thus be safe manuvering the drum into and out of a trailer..they tell me i should be useing an "eagle beak" and pick it up by the top,,,but ya know i thought i read once that grabbing removable head drums with an eagle beaker is a big no no and it kinda makes sense to me,,,you gonna be holdin 550lbs by a removable ring and puttin it up in the air 6 feet or so to palletize,,not me...and then i consider haveing the forks and clamp assembly at 5' or so when loading and unloading the trailer,,, a significant risk for one of the guys takeing out the top of the trailer doorway...that is why i bought a clamp that grabs low...it works and it works well for sound reasons,,safety being one of the foremost!!

so once again the industry makes changes to save them $$ with no consideration to the end user,,,the person whom they are dependant upon for their existence....there are many of us out there,,,why not look for feedback from an installer once and a while,,
(does anyone remember the mexican plastic iso drums with the metric threads which would not accept a bung adapter???)

on a positive note,,,the company at least lent me an ear...but reality is,,they have many drums full cause the idea was just "to damn good and saved so much money cause metal costs are way way up there..bla bla bla...so we made the switch and now i guess you just will have to deal with it...may i suggest a new drum clamp for your forklift,,,and maybe diaphram pumps instead of your stick pumps ..
and did i tell you your product increase for 2008 is only 5cents a pound???
have a nice day :)"...

...so there you go olger...it has been quiet around here...
Gerry Wagoner
Posted: Apr 30, 2008 12:35 PM
Hi `dude.

I feel your pain (the Graco Twistorx drum mixer will hit the bottom of those short drums too).

A while back, our major supplier eliminated plastic drums because Factory Mutual said they had to.
Gordon Howard
Posted: May 01, 2008 12:59 AM
I had a threaded adapter made out of steel o raise my pump another one and a half inches. The machine shop cahrged me $180.

It was male going into the drum, female thread on top.
Linerman
Posted: May 01, 2008 07:44 PM
I remember those plastic drums, they charged us more and their answer was there's a shortage of steel. They were actually kind of nice you could see exactly how much material you had without having to peek inside the bung or unbolting the top.
Posted: May 02, 2008 08:44 PM
great idea gordo..and we too will have to modify an adapter,,,for now...(till they change back,,or renumerate me for my lost productivity due to the "propietary handeling" required for their product use,,,or until i find another product with great performance at a fair price,,,)
but i have 8 xfer pumps in constant use,,, 6 ipms and 2 gracos,,,and we take em back and forth from oc to cc resins,,,and now it is just another modification to lower someone elses bottom line all the while increasing mine...
jerry rader
Posted: May 02, 2008 11:27 PM
If anyone needs an adapter I can make them for 75.00 a piece. These will be stainless steel or aluminum and cnc made. I'm not in the insulation business so you'll have to give me thread size and a few dimensions. Or if anyone is within a reasonable driving distance from Indianapolis I'm willing to travel and take my own dimensions.
Gordon Howard
Posted: May 05, 2008 03:08 AM
foamdude,

do you spray 1/2lb or 2lb??
Posted: May 05, 2008 06:18 AM
we spray them both elGordo...
frequently on the same jobs....
variety is the spice of life!!!

lanes foamZall (subliminal suggestion to the contests judge,,lol) has made the open cell work even more enjoyable...
Gordon Howard
Posted: May 06, 2008 12:03 AM
i think you should name the saw...

...are you ready?

"gordon"

This is a good name, I think.
If you would like any more advice just ask me.

Gordon Howard

You need to login to reply to this topic. Please click here to login.