Q&A Forums

architects? Post New Topic | Post Reply

Author Comments
Posted: Sep 16, 2008 08:14 PM
architects?
mason
Could you (or other forum members) suggest the names of a few architects who have used (and liked) 3# foam for retrofit roofing projects?
I am currently working with an architect who has specified a fully adhered roof on a courthouse. The existing roof is a low sloped tar and gravel over concrete deck (in good condition) it is on the historic registry. he is open to the idea; however the historic committee has some serious reservations.
The concerns all revolve around architects they called regarding foam roofing as "new" or "unproven". They have not posed a single technical drawback. in fact we are currently the low bidders vs. a fully adhered EPDM.
They would like to talk with a few architects who are comfortable with our product.

Thanks,
Aaron
mason
Posted: Sep 17, 2008 07:40 AM
Contact your supplier for information. They should have a whole laundry list of specifiers and architects that have used their system with good results. Also, check out the SPFA brochure AY 129, Testimonials from facility managers and specifiers are included along with historical evidence of long performing roofing.

Another good data source is to obtain a copy of the NRF study on SPF roofing systems Phase 1 and 2. (contact SPFA or NRCA for a copy) This comprehensive study by Dr Rene Dupuis documents the performance of more than 350 SPF roofings systems in more than 6 climate zones in the US. His conclusions "SPF roofing systems are one of the most sustainable systems to date". The report contains photos, laboratory analysis of samples, recommendations and conclusion. A very powerful document that has convinced many specifiers to use foam. Dr Dupuis is known for being brutally objective when performing his investigations. You literally cannot "buy" a favorable opinion from him.

Also, check out my article on the sustainable Characteristics of SPF Roofing and Insulation Systems on my website, masonknowles.com

and
my commercial blog on the subject at Honeywells website http://sc.leadix.com/honeywell/commercial/blog.php

You need to login to reply to this topic. Please click here to login.