Q&A Forums

10 month old closed cell sets Post New Topic | Post Reply

Author Comments
Brian Mulder
Posted: Aug 29, 2007 04:54 PM
10 month old closed cell sets
I have a customer friend that bought foam last October and I did no use it all due to his house work going very slow. I gave him a 2 inch coat so he could heat the place and go through the winter working on it and he is now ready to have me finish spraying and the foam is 10 months old. They say 6 month shelf life. What could happen to the foam that would prevent me from using it? Is it just a coverage issue that I may not get as much board feet per set? I looked into one of the 1/5 full plastic barrels and also from the bottom and could see no reason not to use it. Any advice would be appreciated.
Tim O'Keefe
Posted: Aug 29, 2007 11:45 PM
The ISO may have crystalized in the bottom or sides of the drum which could be pumped into your machine and clog filters. The resin may have lost some of the catalyst and blowing agent as well.

Tim
Granite State Spray Foam Co.
Tim O'Keefe
Posted: Aug 29, 2007 11:52 PM
Gerry Wagoner
Posted: Aug 30, 2007 04:02 PM
Hi Gotfoam.

1) is the foam a 245 foam?
2) The ISO should be ok. If there is
contamination with the iso it will appear
murky and have a skin or icebergs on top. If it
looks just like normal ISO it should be fine.
I've used some ISO (on occasion) that is 18-
months old and it worked fine.

3) The manufacturer should be able to provide a
quart (or pint) of catalyst for the B-side.
The 6-month figure probably has some CYT
(cover-your tail) built in.

4) How much material is left?

all the best,

olger
Posted: Aug 30, 2007 08:23 PM
what olger said...
remember to mix well when adding the catylyst...

(dont know who's foam or what breed it is but if it is 245's...that stuff is always hot to me...the 3 blends i spray all were plenty hot about a year ago..so it may spray fine in this warmer weather...give it a try...if it is to slow,,catalyze and try again...)

You need to login to reply to this topic. Please click here to login.