Q&A Forums

Why job safety meeting are so important! Post New Topic | Post Reply

Author Comments
Dennis Davidson
Posted: Jul 14, 2012 05:29 PM
Why job safety meeting are so important!
Yesterday, there was an explosion destroying a 40' tall exhaust tower. (I know, Friday 13th) My rig was parked just 150' away from where the explosion occurred. Fortunately, my crew was working at the other end of the facility doing some prep work. I, on the other hand, had just stepped out of my truck by my trailer to pick up supplies when the explosion took place. The shock wave was strong enough to push me back almost knocking me to the ground.
On our first day of the project we all attended a mandatory job safety meeting. Part of the meeting entailed what to do in the event of an emergency. All personal were to go to the front gate and stay there, which I did. My first response to the facility personal was to go get my crew out. They refused to let me leave saying there could be a second explosion. We were not permitted cell phones in the facility so I couldn't even call them. After the longest few mins. here they were walking toward the gate just as directed at the safety meeting. So, safety meetings may be boring, but they are important. Because of it, my guys knew what they were supposed to do. You just don't know when something is going to happen.
The cause of the explosion is currently under investigation.
It's ironic too because most of the facility personal were in the middle of a safety training class when this happened:)

You need to login to reply to this topic. Please click here to login.