Q&A Forums

What would you do? Post New Topic | Post Reply

Author Comments
SprayFoamSupply.com
Posted: Nov 03, 2014 11:44 AM
What would you do?
Here's a good one for discussion. I have a regular customer that sprays a lot of foam. He called me about 6 weeks ago to tell me about a good size commercial job that he had coming up where the architect spec'ed a 1.6lb density, water blown, closed cell foam, I won't mention the brand. My customer told the architect that he was unfamiliar with that brand of foam and he would rather use the BaySeal that he if familiar with and a more proven product. The architect was adamant that he wanted to use the 1.6lb. Last week my customer called to tell me that the foam sprayed like sh!t compared to what he was used to. More importantly, the project manager on the job took some core samples of the foam and sent them off to be tested. Guess what, they did not match what was on the data sheet. The density was not 1.6lb or even close. The foam had more open cell content than it should have, and they doubt the R-value is going to be what was stated. The project manager then told my customer that he had to get with the foam supplied, find out what was wrong and fix it! To which my customer responded that they insisted him to spray that crap, not his problem. It will be interesting to see what happens... Everyone wants the work, but be careful out there!
mark moyer
Posted: Nov 04, 2014 09:55 PM
there are so many topics here..

i am with the project manager here...
he signed the contract for the specs as written...
no change order...
he applied the product...
it is his problem now...

you just cant sling foam willy nilly....

if you dont understand the ramifications of a contract hire a person to inform/educate you..

dude
foam-it! left?
Bryan Kwater
Posted: Nov 05, 2014 06:26 PM
It is very easy to get screwed doing commercial work. Everyone sees the dollar signs, but they don't realize the risks involved. Most contracts have you by the nuts once you sign it. We regularly pass on jobs because of either the product specified, or the ridiculous other items that are included in the package.

A pretty common "gotcha" in our area is that the job site must be ventilated 24 hours after installation and other contractors can not enter the spray area during that time. They also have "work must be completed per schedule". So most of the time the spray foam contractor has to do his work on weekends to not slow the entire project down. This is fine if you are prepared for it, but most people aren't.

If the specs have too much "junk" in it, we will pass on it. We can always use the work, but many times it's just not worth it.
mark moyer
Posted: Nov 06, 2014 09:00 PM
...re: ventilation for 24hrs...

thank you SPFA!!!

just another service for your contractor membership...

dude
foam-it! still

You need to login to reply to this topic. Please click here to login.