Q&A Forums

Thickness of Spray Foam Post New Topic | Post Reply

Author Comments
brian giovinazzi
Posted: Apr 30, 2010 06:42 PM
Thickness of Spray Foam
I am building a 15000+ sq ft house in Cleveland, Oh. My plan was to use closed cell spray foam throughout the unvented attic at _________ inches.
The 2x6 walls were going to be sprayed with open cell foam at 5.5 inches thick.
The basement 2x4 walls were going to be filled completely with open cell foam.

Could someone please help direct me into doing what will provide the best effiency in this client's home?

Thanks,
Brian
Cory Boehs
Posted: Apr 30, 2010 07:02 PM
Why don't you call John Thompson at Spray Foam Nation 347-982-4228. He is a local supplier, and could help you with the design process. He has been in the industry for a long time, and is very knowledgeable. The only problem I see with your specs is open cell in the basement. I would go with a minimum of 2" in the walls downstairs.
Cory Boehs
Posted: Apr 30, 2010 07:06 PM
Sorry Mason.... didn't see this was on your page.
mason
Posted: May 02, 2010 05:20 PM
I believe your climate is similar to where I use to live in Northern Virginia (near DC).

I would believe the most economical thickness of closed cell SPF in your area would be around 4 inches. But your code official may insist on the prescribed code minimum of 6 inches.
Dennis Davidson
Posted: May 03, 2010 08:00 AM
Brian

I'm located just a little South of you below Akron. I'd be happy to review your project with you and provide some recommendations. 330-830-1440 Dennis
John Shockney
Posted: May 03, 2010 08:45 AM
I wouldn’t recommend open cell (not waterproof) below grade in the basement go with 1-2 inches of closed cell (waterproof) thicker at the top of the wall thinner as you go dipper underground.
The earth is your friend and will stay around 57degs year round.

You can call or email me also I’ve done work in your aria also.

Hope this is helpful
Thanks
Airpro Spray Foam
Posted: May 06, 2010 06:31 AM
the hybrid system:
oc 5" in 2x6 wall
cc 2.5" in 2x4 furred foundation
oc 12" from top plate to peak with ib coating
or cc 6-7" from top plate to peak without coating if cc holds icc-es report allowing application without said coating/covering,,,
now then...
an uninsulated basement will demand ~30% of the heating load of a structure,,,
insuate it to at least R15 in the sidewalls,,the entire wall,,do not taper,,the earth is a heat sink...R19 is better,,you are building for the next 100 years and heating/cooling expense is not going to go down..
in fact,,here in cold climate zone 5,,where it is "traditional practice" to insulate just a 4' perimeter under the slab with R10 boardstock,,,well now that costs of heating and cooling have got to where they are,,and are going where they are going to go,,,the DOE now recommends you insulate under the entire slab...to reduce the obvious transfer of hot to cold,,,so insulate all you can where ever you can...
btw,,if the basement is takeing on water,,or leaks for one reason or another,,,it will get wet
closed cell foam or not,,you do not/can not manage water intrusion from the inside of a building...now the cc foam will not suffer from this water intrusion,,but it wont "keep it out",,,
i have sprayed many basements with open cell..i too prefer cc,,,it is an insulation media,,,and if applied correctly adheres to the substrate just fine provideing great thermal performance for less $$ than the cc foam for the same rvalue,,and sometimes its all about the almighty buck...
hope this helps..
dude

You need to login to reply to this topic. Please click here to login.