Q&A Forums

The "perfect" spray foam rig Post New Topic | Post Reply

Author Comments
mason
Posted: Jul 18, 2014 11:44 AM
The "perfect" spray foam rig
I will be moderating a panel discussion at ICAA's annual conference. The topic is "The Perfect" Spray Foam Rig.

Will have reps from suppliers and at least one contractor.

The criteria is what is the perfect rig for residential applications that can spray both open and closed cell foam. Jobs are with 75 miles from the shop
We will look at topics such as:
Truck or trailer, what size?
Proportioner, size and type?
length of hose
Type of spraygun and mixing chambers
Type and size of compressor and generator
Tanks, totes or drums

I would like our readers to chip in with their ideas. What is the perfect sprayfoam rig for your residential applications?
SPRAYFOAM GODDESS
Posted: Jul 18, 2014 03:17 PM
I would like to participate.
Chicago Spray Foam
Posted: Jul 21, 2014 02:43 AM
FWIW

Truck or trailer, what size?
Diesel Truck under 26k lbs, lower height clearance if driven in a city with lots of overheads.

Proportioner, size and type?
E-XP2 or E-30, 15kw heaters are a must for good foam. PMC makes some awesome stuff too.

length of hose
Min. 210' w/ first 100' using 1/2" hose

Type of spraygun and mixing chambers
YMMV and plenty of opinions to weigh, the Fusion AP gun has been pretty good to us.

Type and size of compressor and generator
30-40kw diesel generator with a 100% duty cycle screw drive compressor. We use a 3Ph 40kw genset and a 38CFM compressor to run equipment & conditioned fresh breathing air for two people.

Tanks, totes or drums
Drums seem to be the easiest for us, we can haul 6+ sets and not even feel it. Totes will loose yield from sloshing around and don't come with a price break to make it worth it. I would only consider them for large slabjacking project with LOTS of volume needed.
mason
Posted: Jul 22, 2014 09:21 AM
Sprayfoam Goddess, Love to have you on the panel. Right now we have 4 persons confirmed. I need to talk to Michael Kwart (Executive Director of ICAA) to see if we have room for a couple more. Thanks for volunteering. Would I classify you as applicator or supplier?
SPRAYFOAM GODDESS
Posted: Jul 24, 2014 01:56 PM
Supplier - truck and trailer custom builder.
mason
Posted: Jul 29, 2014 01:05 PM
Give me a call to discuss. 571-239-5221
matthewgilles
Posted: Feb 18, 2017 09:02 PM
some great stuff here.
@ Chicago Spray Foam
RE: Totes will loose yield from sloshing around

is that proven or just kind of a common send thing? we are looking at the Akurite system and there totes are large enough for 150 gal each.
I am a bit concerned if I am going to loss yield if I drive around with just a set or so..
mark moyer
Posted: Feb 25, 2017 11:32 AM
matt,,,when the resin gets agitated it can loose blowing agent...
think shake up a 7 up bottle with the cap off and it looses its fizz....
i hear the guys runnin totes usually custom build and baffel em,.,,like large fuel cells,,,
a few hundred gallons sloshin around in a quick maneuver on the road could be interesting....

i wonder if that perfect spray rig had lots of pretty shiney diamond plate or melamine or stainless in it...??
and the drums way up front....and lots of rubber fluid and air lines????

You need to login to reply to this topic. Please click here to login.