Q&A Forums

Soffit Stuffing Post New Topic | Post Reply

Author Comments
JohnPeters
Posted: Jun 01, 2009 06:38 AM
Soffit Stuffing
Mason,

What material do you recommend for stuffing soffit's when applying foam to a roof deck?

We typically use fiberglass. I have been having second thoughts about using glass given its tendency to harbor mold growth as well as wick water.

Thoughts? Experiences?

jp
mason
Posted: Jun 01, 2009 07:39 AM
There is always that potential when using fiberglass, particularly in humid climates.

You might try using a board insulation such as EPS or polyiso. You would have to cut it to fit and wedge it in. and yes it would be more difficult to fit it into tight and irregular spaces. (but it would not have to be a perfect fit, the foam would fill in the gaps.)

What other techniques have readers used?
SPFer
Posted: Jun 01, 2009 02:46 PM
We have stapled tyvek up to cover soffits. Goes pretty quickly.
Posted: Jun 01, 2009 07:22 PM
...re: wicks water,,,if you are wicking water in a truss heel/soffit block you have issues way beyond this dialoge,,,
....we use glass,,and have shot to about every other thing a person can use,,,as long as its taunt,,contigious,,and far enough on the outside of the plate so as to allow me to achieve an r19 or so on this high loss area,,,,
...cutting boardstock is the ratzazz but it is time consumeing,,,ie: it aint this hillbilly foamer doin the time,,they wont pay for it,,,and if you bid for it,,bang bang,,,your dead...
,,,most of the contractors whom use us regularly will address this at the time of frameing,,,as well as a few other area's that require "foam prep",,,it is part of the system approach to building structures that work,,,and work well,,,
dinner bell,,,gong!
JohnPeters
Posted: Jun 01, 2009 07:42 PM
My concern stems from the tendency for rain to move sideways as well as straight down. Obviously a soffit should never get wet or be exposed to water. But we all know that water has a tendency to get into places that you don't want it go or was intended to go. I have yet to see a soffit that is boxed out and sealed perfectly from the outer elements.

In a vented attic assembly there should be adequate ventilation to promote a drying effect if the soffit or battage in the soffit was to get wet.

Like I said, we've been using FG batts for years. I was just wondering if anyone has heard of any detrimental effects from using FG for stuffing a soffit.
Harry S
Posted: Jun 02, 2009 09:25 AM
we offer the option to spray'em. once the vent chutes are in place, shoot'em, charge accordingly and move on. if they don't want it then let'em stuff fg.......in the truss heels too!

HarrytheHook
JohnPeters
Posted: Jun 06, 2009 04:42 PM
Mason,

What do you think about stuffing a soffit with an FG batt that is vented vs. non-vented?

I have my reservations about placing a batt in a non-vented soffit, then spraying over it.

jp
Posted: Jun 06, 2009 07:03 PM
uh why???,,they have been blocking truss heels this way for years,,,,with filterglass...and you dont typically see mold here,,,because there is sufficient drainage plane and the ablility to dry,,in one direction or the other,,,,ie the water isnt trapped,,,

in any unvented attic assembly you are relying on your mechanical devices to maintain adequate operating parameters in the structure,,,,so vented soffit/non vented soffit isnt an issue if the structure has been designed to operate in an unvented attic assembly....

You need to login to reply to this topic. Please click here to login.