Q&A Forums

shingle warranties Post New Topic | Post Reply

Author Comments
Grady Littlehale
Posted: Jul 14, 2008 12:10 PM
shingle warranties
Mason,

I was talking to a local builder today, he had gone to a seminar for shingles manufacturers(IKO) and they told him they would cut there warranty in half if they use spray foam an no warranty at all if using Nu Wool. Doing some research i found this to be true "without proper ventilation".I know there are a few manufacturers that do warrant there shingles, but are they going to join the bandwagon and require ventilation? Thanks
mason
Posted: Jul 14, 2008 12:36 PM
Yes, Elk and Certainteed will warrant SPF under the roof deck in unvented attic configurations, but a lot of shingle manufacturers don't. Their reasons are that the foam doesn't allow the shingle's hot temperatures to dissipate as rapidly into the the attic space thereby increasing the shingle temperature and reducing the life of the shingle.

Many independent (non sprayfoam) studies have shown that there is a negligible effect and that other items that the shingle manufacturers don't exclude such as location,(30 times the effect of unvented attics), aspect (slope of the roof, 10 times the effect), orientation, (which direction it faces 10 times the effect, and color of shingles 15-20 times the effect.

While a court of law would probably rule against a shingle manufacturer excluding a warranty on this basis due to the acceptance of so many other factors that affect the shingle temeperature more, it would still be a legal hassle.

On another note, insurance companies may use this as an excuse not to cover claims for hail or or damage. So, let your customers beware of this.

This issue might require a court case against the shingle manufacturers by the SPF industry to resolve. But, I do not see any suppliers or the association going to this extreme.

The other option and more likely is to develop a dialoque with the shingle manufacturers and try to get the industry to change their minds on warranties.

You need to login to reply to this topic. Please click here to login.