Q&A Forums

Pole Barn heat loss Post New Topic | Post Reply

Author Comments
james keegan
Posted: Nov 28, 2012 01:49 PM
Pole Barn heat loss
Hey guys, looking to lean on you for some expert advise. I recently installed 2" of CC foam to walls & ceiling and flashed the floor. Customer has finished the walls and fire-coated the ceiling. His HVAC guy has stated the 20x30x16'H building needs no more than 15K btu. It's in now and cust can't get the room warmer than low 60's. The HVAC guy found a low spot while cutting out for vent pipe. Cust now wants me to respray the walls and believes that it's the SPF not allowing the room to come up to temp. He thinks this because the HVAC contractor used a scientific calculation to come up with the room's heatloss score and the suitable furnace. Any ideas as to why he's not able to maintain 70 degrees? I'm hoping it's the furnace not the SPF.

The furnace is a wall mount 2'x3' size 15K.
Brian Bothun
Posted: Nov 28, 2012 06:41 PM
Where are you located?
james keegan
Posted: Nov 28, 2012 06:58 PM
Located in canada just outside toronto. Similar to Michigan weather
Bob Silverman
Posted: Nov 29, 2012 12:00 AM
15k heater, about 2200 square feet of space for thermal transfer with 2" of foam, in Canada? What does he have for a door? How is that insulated? Who spec's the 2" of cc foam? The building owner, HVAC contractor, or you? I am not a heat loss expert, but I think you have both, too little foam, and too small a heater.

Bob
jeff henderson
Posted: Nov 29, 2012 03:51 PM
2" CC and a 15 kw heater keeping it warm enough to work seems like a great bargain to me! But yeah, I think the hvac should show his work to get full marks.

I recently put 2"+ CC into a shop here in Flin Flon with approximately 3200 square feet of surface area, 14' garage door, one man door, no windows. 20KW electric furnace is enough to keep the room toasty. (it even shuts off every now and then!)...I figure we have about 2,000 Heating Degree Days more than you, and I was comfortable teling them 2".
Mark Mouton
Posted: Nov 29, 2012 08:29 PM
Did the HVAC man factor in just flashing the floor?
The floor should not have been neglected. It should be the same 2" also.
Measure the surface temperature of the walls, ceiling, and floor at sun-up in the morning. If any area is colder the the indoor temp of the building, then that area will be the weak link. I'm gonna say the floor is cold.

You need to login to reply to this topic. Please click here to login.