Q&A Forums

Overspray Post New Topic | Post Reply

Author Comments
Kyle Wheeler
Posted: Mar 18, 2008 09:37 PM
Overspray
Just wondering if you know how to get overspray off of a vinyl garage door without removing the finish? I have heard the sun will eventually dissolve the foam on it's own? If this is true, will it still leave a mark? I do realize the door should have been covered up but it was an oversite that hopefully will not happen again.
jason Forrester
Posted: Mar 18, 2008 10:03 PM
I have had good luck with a medium abrasive claybar.You can find them at any auto paint shop.Hope this helps.
SprayFoamSupply.com
Posted: Mar 18, 2008 10:30 PM
I used a handful of abrasive buff wheels in my dremel and an easy hand. Slow and steady. I also got a can of thouch up paint from the door manufacturer because you will probably rub off some of the finish. You will be waiting a long time for the sun to do it. After seeing how much work it is, I am sure we won't do it again.

George
mason
Posted: Mar 20, 2008 08:22 AM
Overspray is hard to get off without scratching the finish. There are companies that specialize in removing overspray ( like Detail Masters and others) but for a small job like this it would not be worth it. Letting the sun work on the door for a few weeks would help, and use a product like Clay Magic). This product works pretty well on car finishes. The secret is to let the foam degrade sufficient so that the abrasive does not scratch the paint surface. If that fails, painting the door is an option. It may be hard to match the color exactly. I found that it may be easier to get a house painter to do the job.

You need to login to reply to this topic. Please click here to login.