Q&A Forums

Oilers Post New Topic | Post Reply

Author Comments
Dave Strnad
Posted: Dec 06, 2007 06:46 PM
Oilers
Do most guys put oilers in line on their air purge line or should you just oil it from time to time. It seems like my tips clog up alot and are hard to clean with the bit, I have tried different guns, foam, settings, etc. I am now wondering if the in line oiler has something to do with it.
Tim O'Keefe
Posted: Dec 06, 2007 07:50 PM
We don't add any oil to the air system. Neither the air purge or the drum pumps need it. I would imagine that spraying oil onto the substrate via the air purge is going to adversely effect adhesion of the foam. If you run an air saw just dump the oil right into the inlet of the saw.

Tim
Granite State Spray Foam Co.
Dave Strnad
Posted: Dec 06, 2007 11:07 PM
Drum pumps don't need oilers? I thought air motors needed to have them.
Michael Flander
Posted: Dec 07, 2007 11:25 AM
Dave... the air motor in your drum pump is a piston, with an o-ring doing the sealing between the piston and housing. If this o-ring was properly greased when it was installed, you do not need to oil the pump. Oiling is really only needed on gear motors like agitators and air ratchets.
Posted: Dec 09, 2007 04:13 AM
mikey,,
would a drop or two of oil help/hurt in the drum pumps air motor if one was seeing some down line condensation on the cylinder when hammering/working the pumps hard?
Michael Flander
Posted: Dec 10, 2007 09:00 AM
foamdude: The condesation is most likely coming from the temp change of the air itself as it is entering and exhausting from the piston housing... Its natural for all air driven pumps, and is the reason high end pumps like the NXT have de-icing options on them. I do not think the oil would hurt anything unless it reacted with the o-ring material or grease, but I also feel it is unneccessary. Lithium grease is moisture free and will do a good job of lubricating even when moisture condenses on the housing. If you are concerned for the longevity of your pump, you could regrease the piston o-ring once a week(for most pumps this would be a 1-2 minute process because you can take the air motor housing off by hand usually). This would be the most effective way to keep the pump greased and ready to go.

Hope this helps,
Mike

You need to login to reply to this topic. Please click here to login.