Q&A Forums

Need help understanding my EPA TO-15 open cell foam test results Post New Topic | Post Reply

Author Comments
John_N
Posted: Sep 13, 2017 10:45 PM
Need help understanding my EPA TO-15 open cell foam test results
Hi all,
I need some help reading this EPA TO-15 test results for my home's foam insulation. I had the foam tested because I have a smell coming from the attic. its open cell foam installed under the attic roof. Bayer Polyurethane foam. the lab that did the test said the results look normal and it is inline with regular "good condition" cell foam, but did not provide much details. but I am concerned because of the high levels of Acetone ( 63.0 ppbv) and Acetaldehyde (40 ppbv)
I am not able to upload attachments so I can share it here.
Thanks for helping
mason
Posted: Sep 20, 2017 12:41 PM
Without knowing additional information I would not be able to help you. Odors can be caused from a variety of sources and conditions. An inspection of the house would be required to help develop a theory of what is going on and how to remedy it. I have found that head space analysis of open cell foam does little to assist in determining what is going on. For example, acetone is not a by product of the foam application and is most likely coming from somewhere else.

One thing you could check out is how well your ventilation system is working to remove stale air and replace it with fresh air. I would recommend conducting a blower door test on the house to see what your air exchange rate is and to see where the air has good circulation and where it does not.

You need to login to reply to this topic. Please click here to login.