Q&A Forums

moving drums Post New Topic | Post Reply

Author Comments
philip mullins
Posted: Oct 08, 2007 05:03 PM
moving drums
i usualy have my sets loaded right into the trailer at the depot. but, an upcoming project will require that i order more sets than i can haul in the spray rig and running back and forth to the ddepot would be a pain. so i am gonna need some sort of dolly to move drums from trailer to trailer. problem is that i can only find 352,176 different kinds. what are you guys using. i would hate to buy one and find out after that there is another that would work better. or a cheaper (did i just say cheap? in this biz,lol) one that would work just as well.tx
Tim O'Keefe
Posted: Oct 08, 2007 06:20 PM
Can you just have the foam delivered to your jobsite? Most jobsites have a lull or forklift and the GC would be happy to have the foam loaded into your trailer onsite for you.

Tim
Granite State Spray Foam Co.
Posted: Oct 08, 2007 09:07 PM
we load the drums into the spare step van and use it as a "transfer station"
we use either a stick drum pump,,or at times we pull out the long retired diaphragm pumps,,,and pump from there,,,thru 3/4" hose to the 3/4" bung on the drum in the "working" trailer..
i use cam lock couplers on the pumps and hose,,,terminateing into a 3/4"nipple(to screw into drum)>60degree>nipple>camlock fitting...

we pump into "holding drums" in the spray rig which transfer to the "working drums" sitting next to them...yes that is 6 xfer pumps in this setup,,,this holding drum allows us to pump over with less risk of fluid spill(and this is a real risk!),,,,we do not transfer from the "transfer station" until the "holding drums" are completely empty,,,that way you can let the "feed"drum pump until dry without it overfilling the holding drum and creating a real clusterduck...
Tim O'Keefe
Posted: Oct 08, 2007 09:28 PM
What are camlocks? Some sort of fluid quick conenct coupler? Do you have problems with the ISO and these camlocks? Sounds like a pretty sophisticated setup!

Tim
Granite State Spray Foam Co.
Gerry Wagoner
Posted: Oct 08, 2007 10:15 PM
We have 4-different kinds of barrel trucks and we like the Wesco 240009 the best. We have two of those, and will probably replace 2-more with that model. It has a perfect center of gravity.

We also like our 5000# Clark forklift with drum grabber attachment. For dumping, we have a Morse 400A-96-114. Works well.

We have a 2000 International box van with lift gate & 24' box. That works well for all kinds of transport.

Someday we'll buy a Powermate LE-1.

olger
Posted: Oct 09, 2007 06:32 AM
cam and groove couplers..
yes the iso can "cheese up" the cam locks as well as the rubber orings inside the coupler...
we wipe em clean of drips and lube em to help keep em from cheesing up...

this is not sophisticated at all,,in fact it is hillbilly foamer for sure...hose to pumps to drums thats about it...

we use this when shooting big slabs (>10k)
otherwise we just work out of 2 sets in the rig pumping from the rear holding to the front working drum...

we looked at our exposure to the raw materials and found we had exposure when switching drum pumps and hoses,,with this setup we configure and work away,,although we still have to switch the pump in the transfer station..

wesco drum carts work great here too...
and i to luv my wesco drum clamp and would be lost with out the hyster to attach to...we rarely touch a drum with a hand cart anymore,,,the forklift sets em in the trailer and the storage room quite nicely...

i moved drums by hand for about 1 year...no more...i remember being so damned tired from spraying and i still had 2 setz to load by hand,,with no help available,,up the 20' ramp with the barrel cart..by drum 3 i was laying the cart down on the ramp and useing a comealong to pull it up the ramp..the next week i bought my hyster and drum clamp..best money i ever spent..

about "cheap",,,in most cases if you buy cheap,,you will get cheap,,the stuff wont last for long,,and frequently will not perform to satisfactory levels...

i in fact use the "cheap" analogy when discussing insualtion "failures" out in the world,,,i tell em "well the wanted cheap,,they got cheap",,,
indeed..

foam on,,, foam on,,harvest moon,,,,
Michael Flander
Posted: Oct 09, 2007 03:12 PM
foamdude,

On my desk I have a sign that states:

We offer three types of service, Fast, Right, and Cheap.

You can pick any TWO, but you can not have all three.

If you want it fast and cheap, it will not be right.

If you want it fast and right, it will not be cheap.

If you want it cheap and right, it will not be fast.

One of my favorite quotes in this business.... :) Kinda like the mechanics hourly prices that go up the more the customer is involved($25 to fix, $50 if you watch, $75 if you've already worked on it).

Keep spraying!
Mike
philip mullins
Posted: Oct 09, 2007 07:59 PM
good info guys. foamdude, i considered a similiar setup but, would be to scared to walk away from it. to many mexican yahoos runing around who wouldnt mind tearing my stuff up. plus, since i let the invaders know exactly how i feel about them, everything must be secured. its not just a stereotype to say that all those 'guest workers' carry knives.

and mike, you stole my spiel,lol. and i learned real fast that thier aint NOTHING cheap in this biz. but, why buy more than i need when i plan on buying a forklift as soon as i can afford it. both trailers have barn doors and ride about the same hieght so i can back them up to each other and roll in the drums, i hope.

thanks again guys. now i know what i need. uhmm, where can i get one?tx

You need to login to reply to this topic. Please click here to login.