Q&A Forums

Is iso the same for OC and CC? Post New Topic | Post Reply

Author Comments
Angus McDougald
Posted: Jan 29, 2009 06:32 PM
Is iso the same for OC and CC?
hello my name is Angus, and I have been a lurker here for some time, but this is my first post. The questions and answers here have been invaluable to me.

I have been spraying closed cell with a graco e-20, and I am looking to start spraying OC with the same rig. One guy says I can do it with 3 pumps, AND the same iso meaning
- 1 pump part A: 1 pump part B closed cell: 1pump part b open cell(he implies that I can do that with basf which is what I've been using)

another guy says that there are problems with using the same iso(a) for oc and cc with all the brands. he says I can do it with 3 pumps but, when I want to change from CC to OC, I have to change the pump.

both have their own motives, and I tend to side with the second guy but I need some advice

thanks
Posted: Jan 29, 2009 08:47 PM
Angus,
no problem with using the same iso. The only difference between the oc and cc iso is that the manufactures can charge you more $ for the same chemical. We use the same A and have never had any issues.
mason
Posted: Jan 30, 2009 07:37 AM
I recommend that you check with your respective suppliers about mixing and matching systems. Now if your supplier uses the same A side for the open and closed cell foam, no problem.

But be careful when mixing and matching A side components. I have seen variations among the various brands, from storage temperatures, to viscosity, to how they react with humidity. For example, some A components have a slightly higher or lower viscosity at different temperatures. This would affect the heater temperature settings on your rig.

I always like to use the manufacturer's recommended materials and settings. Less chance for error that way. Rather than 3 pumps, I would use two separate proportioners dedicated to the different materials.
clint moore
Posted: Jan 30, 2009 02:55 PM
Correct me if I'm wrong but I had always thought that ISO is only made by 5 different companies,basically the same recipe and that RESIGN is made by anyone,the difference being what and how much blowing agent or catalist is used. We always sprayed different manufacturers of foam,open & closed and never had any problems. When we would switch from c.c. to o.c. one would push the other out. You would notice the difference in the material as it came out. Of course we would recirc. as much back into the barrel as we could as not to waste a lot of material.
SprayFoamSupply.com
Posted: Jan 30, 2009 09:55 PM
Although ISO is only made by 5 dif manufacturers, some use a "blended ISO", not straight ISO. If you use straight ISO with a resin designed to use a blended ISO, the foam will not meet the specs on the tech data sheet. When in doubt, ask the supplier if they use straight ISO or blended ISO.

Hope this helps,

George

You need to login to reply to this topic. Please click here to login.