Q&A Forums

If it was your home? Post New Topic | Post Reply

Author Comments
bobby pratt
Posted: Aug 05, 2007 10:31 AM
If it was your home?
My first spraying job will be my own home. Now I have to decide what type foam to use and where. What would you guys do if you were spraying your own home. With your choice of open or closed cell. What brand foam? . The house is framed,dryed in with tyveck housewrap.. Crawl space is about 5 ft tall concrete block walls on average and unvented.. 2900 sqft all on one floor. Basic framing with 2x4 walls. Lots of room in the attic which is also unvented.. HVAC duct will be in the crawl space. Exterior will be all brick. I want to do this right the first time. Thanks for your help.
Gerry Wagoner
Posted: Aug 05, 2007 04:12 PM
You have plenty of choices - that may be the problem :).

I'd go with 2.5" rigid in the walls and 8" half-pound on the underside of the roof deck. Have fun.

olger
FirstName LastName
Posted: Aug 06, 2007 09:44 PM
depending on region 2-2.5 inches of closed cell in walls and 3-4 inches in cielings of closed will be plenty. i don't like open cell foam at all. if your roof leaks and you are using open cell to tell that then you waited to long to replace your roof. open cell will let water through but your deck is still compromised. best bet is to replace your roof before it might leak.
SprayFoamSupply.com
Posted: Aug 06, 2007 10:10 PM
Since you will have duct work in your crawl space, I would include it in the building envelope. I would spray 2-3" of closed cell foam on the walls and the floor depending on code requirements.

George
Thomas Kasper
Posted: Aug 06, 2007 11:43 PM
I would just go crazy and spray foam everywhere.

happy foaming

You need to login to reply to this topic. Please click here to login.