Q&A Forums

Generator vs. shore power Post New Topic | Post Reply

Author Comments
Thomas Kelly
Posted: Apr 05, 2007 11:06 AM
Generator vs. shore power
A spray rig manufacturer recently proposed that a generator could be left off the rig set-up in order to save on start-up costs.

It was suggested that at most job sites, shore power is readily available, elminating the need for a generator. In cases where showe power is not an option, a generator can be rented for a fraction of the purchase price.

Has anyone gone this route? What were your experience?

Also, any thoughts on benefits/drawbacks of one-phase vs. three-phase generator/proportioner equipment?
Thomas Kasper
Posted: Apr 05, 2007 07:01 PM
There is a excellent thread on this with pros and cons to both.
The thread is, 15kw enough for E20
It is in the Equipment Q&A on the 2nd page.
It has 33 replies.
Timothy Sonney
Posted: Apr 06, 2007 02:16 AM
All of our jobs that we have done commercial, or residential, we have yet to experience a job site that does not have the required power available. We have done large commercial jobs, and small camps in the middle of the woods. If you are unsure about connecting to shore power, who ever you buy your rig from should fully train you on how to do it safely on all types of box's. We saved thousands on startup cost by going with shore power and our next rig will be set up the same way. Any questions call me and ask for Timothy.
Thomas Kelly
Posted: Apr 15, 2007 07:19 PM
After reading through the other threads on this topic, it looks like the opinions are divided down the middle. It makes a lot of sense from the cost savings perspective, but why haven't more sprayers adopted this model?

Have you had any problems with general contractors being concerned with the rig taking up all the juice?

ARe you involved with retrofitting with pour foam at all? Would there be any problems hooking up to a box in a completed house?

Is it possible to run a generator in transport to the location so that the materials could be heated and ready to go on arrival? That could be an advantage to a generator.

Like I said, eliminating the generator makes a lot of sense. I'm just trying to figure out what's keeping everyone else going this route.
Thomas Kasper
Posted: Apr 15, 2007 08:40 PM
In a perfect world you have a generator. Yes homeowners watch us when we drag out the big wire and hook up in the box, or open up the meter socket and plug in. It does work, it is also a pain. I would say the reason everyone doesn't have a generator is because of the cost. The size generator needed is around $10,000 and you should have a bigger trailer also.
Gerry Wagoner
Posted: Apr 15, 2007 09:06 PM
Our MH is three-phase.

Generator all the way... We have three diesel generators.

oG

I can't imagine pulling enough current to run a foam machine AND a compressor which means that a person will have to use a gas compressor and those are loud and obnoxious. I like to be able to think, inside the production area.
Posted: Apr 15, 2007 09:13 PM
I think generator is the way to go. It has been a pain to get fuel at times when I have forgotten to plan ahead. It costs time and money to service the generator.

That said, I think I have been on 4 jobsites that you could NOT use shore power. 2 were old houses with FUSE panels. 1 was a garage that was fed by a 30amp subpanel and the main was at least 300' away across the road. And another had some weird temporary setup with no panel, just a meter and an outlet???

If I had it to do again I would absolutely get a generator again. I can also fire up my rig anytime anywhere and have lights, heat, electricity etc. This was nice when I got a flat on the trailer. On went the generator, on went the compressor, out came the impact gun, you get the idea.

Tim
Granite State Spray Foam Co.

You need to login to reply to this topic. Please click here to login.