Q&A Forums

For you new guys Post New Topic | Post Reply

Author Comments
Eric Sparks
Posted: Dec 08, 2009 06:10 PM
For you new guys
when i first started researching spf and thinking about becoming a contractor i couldn't find many people that would talk to me or give me any advice. Some people may agree,disagree or even get angry about what i am about to say. Its just an opinion. I see on here lots of new guys wanting to get into the industry as contractors, these new guys need to be aware of some things nobody was willing to tell me. First off you new guys the only way i would recommend you get into this business is if you have the cash on hand to pay for the equipment and or have a guaranteed contract for jobs. If you don't have those things turn and run. Second thing is don't get caught up in thinking you have to purchase a big plush foam rig from these companies. Yes they are nice, but are they necessary? NO Do you need a generator?. no I have sprayed for four years and never needed one yet, they want to load you up with tools and other things that are not really needed to add to the cost. You can and should build your own trailer if you cant put a trailer together you have no business spraying foam. I believe the main things needed in a rig is a good air compressor that meets your requirements, a quality machine like the gracos for example. the trailer should be wired correctly with interior lights, if you don't wanna do it your self hire an electrician. The trailer should be foamed to keep the materials at temp. make sure the axles can handle the weight of the foam. These are the basic things that i feel are needed in a rig. Fancy interiors, lettering wraps and tool boxes just add to the cost of the bottom line. I cannot stress enough that you need to buy your foam from a company willing to train you. customer service is very important. My biggest complaint in our industry is the cost of our material it is ridiculous, We have a wonderful product to offer the public that is by far the best insulation available and we continue to be outsold by the traditional products. The companies that make these chemicals are just flat out sticking it to us, whether or not there is price fixing or price gouging there is no real world excuse or reason for the prices that we the contractors are paying for material. Our profit margins are shrinking because of these chemical companies keep raising our costs its not right. To the new guys considering getting into this business we work hard for our profits and its not easy work. Good luck to you if you do decide to start spraying foam, there is alot some of these companies will not tell you.
Best of luck and merry christmas
Sparky
wade Medrud
Posted: Oct 09, 2015 10:15 PM
I'm listening please give me more info. i'm working in the oil field's of North DAKOTA and it sucks i'm working my ass off for other peoples pockets. That's why people want to start a business. I want insight and with your back ground i'm guessing you can help me.
John Benoit
Posted: Oct 19, 2015 01:55 PM
Wade Medrud

this is John Benoit pronounced (benwa) and I started out not knowing didley about foam except how much contractors charge for it.I assumed the profit margin was through the roof (I was wrong ). So I learned the hard way saved my dollars bought used equipment and learned an expensive lesson.looking back I should have went to a spray foam training class ($900)before I bought ANY equipment and then decided if this is what I want to do or went work for a spray foam company on my days off to see what it's all about
that would have warned me what I was getting into.but tight wad I am I didn't want to spend un nessary money than I had to.the troubles I had was my own fault and it took me 3 years to get in my grove with no one to look to for advice. I'm a full-time firefighter trying to build a spray foam business for my retirement job and several years later it finally looks like it is going to happen.if you have ANY questions please call me anytime day or night (337-789-4093)I'm not going to shun a fella just getting started like some of the contractors around here.

You need to login to reply to this topic. Please click here to login.