Q&A Forums

firestop tb.... any thoughts? anybody use this? Post New Topic | Post Reply

Author Comments
angus mcdougald
Posted: Jul 05, 2011 01:03 PM
firestop tb.... any thoughts? anybody use this?
I am thinking about using US Fireproofings firestop TB...

its spray applied rockwool that they say is as good as drywall....

you spray on 1.5 inches an it add like r6 so you can short cc an inch and oc 2 inches

they say it can go on any foam

they say its cheaper...

it runs throught a cellulose blower with a spray nozzle

they have an ad here (which is how I became interested)
Dean Nash
Posted: Jul 06, 2011 08:48 AM
We added several lines of blowing machines to our equipment offerings because of this product, among other requests. For distribution, RSG Building Solutions & IDI have signed on so access to it should be good.

Pro's:
It's approximately 1/3 to 1/5th the cost of intumescent paint as a TB.
Cost for an IB(1") is roughly the same cost as 1" of OC foam.
It carries an R-Value of 4.2ish per inch so you can reduce the thickness of the foam applied to compensate for the addition of RW.
It's approved over virtually any substrate (15min).
It can be applied with most wet cellulose blow machines. (see below)
Very little, if any, dust is created in its application.

Con's:
It's more dense than Fiber or cellulose which HAS caused difficulty with smaller blow machines, especially in overhead applications. Don't skimp on the machine-buy or use something with some power behind it.
"Manufacturer suggested" yields/bag have NOT been accurate at this point though in several cases. The size of the machine may have played a role in their issues. Yields have been about 20-30% less than spec'd which has upped the price significantly. I do know that they are working on this.

The adhesive is offered in both a premixed 55gallon drum and in Concentrate. Be sure to confirm how your water pump works (push/pull) before committing to one.

I've got several customers that have sprayed it, each with varying degrees of success. Happy to pass along their numbers.

joe at imefusion.com

You need to login to reply to this topic. Please click here to login.