Q&A Forums

Covering Foam with cellulose? Post New Topic | Post Reply

Author Comments
Dave Strnad
Posted: Nov 05, 2007 12:13 PM
Covering Foam with cellulose?
I have recently been trying to find cellulose products to apply over the foam in cathedral situation and ventless attics. In my mind this would solve all problems with local code officials. I could get actual labled R-values, provide 15 min thermal barrier, cost effective easy to install system. However I have been having a hard time getting it all worked out. The Main products I have found such as K-13 will not sell to me, they have protected areas. Does anyone know of a product that can easily be purchased to do this? I can use my current cellulose with an added adhesive, however it can only be applied 2" thick and has testing showing the numbers, just not all the certification and tests required so it still wouldn't be a closed case.
Gerry Wagoner
Posted: Nov 05, 2007 09:21 PM
International Cellulose just purchased Thermocon, and they should sell Thermocon to you. Also ask them about Ure-K. they can sell that to you as well.

There is a fiberglass product that is easier to spray but has the itch factor. Eric Burnheimer in Cincinnati has the scoop on that.

regards,

oG
Dave Strnad
Posted: Nov 05, 2007 09:38 PM
I will try to pressure them more I called today specifically about k-13 or ure-K. The rep for my area said I had to be a certified installer. I then asked how you become that, he said I couldn't because of the territories. He made it very clear that I could not buy it, but he would put me in touch with someone who would install it for me. I then called Thermo-con and they gave me the same guys number, so I never called again.

I may just keep playing around with the stablized cellulose that I install. I have only sprayed small areas but It adhears pretty well to the foam. I can get 3.5" to the underside of a 4/12 with spf. I need to try it on a bigger area before I do it for someone else and have it all fall out. I also am not sure about whether 3.5" of regular cellulose is a 15 Min barrier or not. I have a document that looks like it is, but I'm still unsure.
Gerry Wagoner
Posted: Nov 06, 2007 06:23 PM
That really irritates me that they won't sell to you. ICC buys up the competition (Thermocon) and then won't sell to new contractors like Thermocon would. Chuck Smith is the bottleneck for any and all requests - it all goes through him.

Call J&R products and talk to Greg Thornton. Tell him your dilemma and he may have a solution for you. 800-343-4446

Water & stabilized cellulose won't hang upside down satisfactorily, especially not in 3-4" thicknesses.

All the best,

oG
Reggie Titmus
Posted: Nov 08, 2007 09:47 AM
American Sprayed Fibers has Rockwool blend with 15min thermal barrier test with Dendamix product (UBC 17-3)sprayed like cellulose with glue adhesive
downfall to product is no terms,pay up front before shipping. purchased in sets,and expensive.
must go through training course
we have used this product for years and never had a building official turn us down for barrier over foam.
will give R3 to R3.5 per inch depending on density and only need an inch to get 15 min thermal
www.asfiusa.com
hope this helps
Luke Kujacznski
Posted: Nov 08, 2007 06:05 PM
Reggie,

Nice to see you on this board. How is your foaming going? Talked to rob the other day and he said you were kinda slow. I hope all is going well drop me a line sometime.

Luke

You need to login to reply to this topic. Please click here to login.