Q&A Forums

can lights Post New Topic | Post Reply

Author Comments
Thomas Kasper
Posted: Oct 07, 2007 11:12 AM
can lights
When spraying ceilings with can lights, some sprayers say cover the can lights with 5 gal buckets, or wrap the can lights with fiberglass. Is this just with closed cell foam or is this for open cell foam also? My thoughts are, if you don't need to cover these can lights if you are spraying open cell foam, it would be a good reason to spray the ceiling with open cell foam on a ceiling that has many can lights.

What is your opinion?
thanks
Luke Kujacznski
Posted: Oct 07, 2007 06:23 PM
Tom,

Can lights are a tricky one. It doesn't matter what type of foam you are spraying, it matters what type of can light it is. Triple wall or zero clearence lights are the only ones you can spray foam right up against. The reason some people put five gallon buckets over them is so the lights don't overheat and shut off. Most can lights have a heat switch in them where if the light gets to hot the light shuts off. I would never wrap a can light in fiberglass. I always ask the electrician what he would recomend and then I do it that way, then it was not my idea and I am not responsible for a bad outcome. Never be afraid to ask questions of the builder and w******vers stuff your messing with. It will keep you out of trouble.
Posted: Oct 07, 2007 07:24 PM
we will wrap the fixture (can lite, fans, or other mechanical or electrical device to which future access may be required) with filterglass insulation to afford a layer between the foam insulation which is sprayed over the top of the filterglass insulation. this seems to keep the electricians and any of the other "great thinkers" at ease as they now feel they have an easier access to the fixture if needed...
i have capped with buckets, boxes;cardboard drywall,osb... and the filterglass is the easiest,,,fast and furious,,and it works,,,well..

dont forget on stairwells,,,those stairway lites typically are not insulation buryable,,i have seen em blink with filterglass...

You need to login to reply to this topic. Please click here to login.