Q&A Forums

antifreeze Post New Topic | Post Reply

Author Comments
Posted: Nov 29, 2007 10:35 PM
antifreeze
I see some of you guys are using antifreeze to clean your guns. Could it be used as a cheaper alternative to glycol ether to flush out the ISO side of an MXII. The hose has built up some crud over time as it sat idle and I want to run some solvent through it to help flush out the junk before the system is used again.
mason
Posted: Nov 30, 2007 08:30 AM
Once you have iso build up in your hoses it is very difficult to flush it out. The iso solidifies on the walls of the hose and each time you move the hose it cracks and causes more crystals of iso to move through the hose.

I am not aware of any solvent or material that will effectively clean out iso from the hose once it sets up.

I know hoses are expensive but, if you have to clean your gun filters several times during each spray session, they should probably be replaced.

However, check with your supplier for their recommendations on how to clean your hoses and recommendations on gun cleaner, flushing materials and techniques. (get their instructions in writing)
Posted: Nov 30, 2007 04:04 PM
Im going to experiment on a transfer pump hose thats been sitting with iso in it for about 6 months now. I have a metal 5 gal pail with a band heater on it and antifreeze in it. Im going to soak the hose in the hot antifreez and see if it helps melt out the snot like iso thats in there. If not Im gettin a new hose anyways so not much to loose here but the $12 I paid for the antifreeze. ill post my results later.
Gerry Wagoner
Posted: Nov 30, 2007 04:36 PM
Dynasolve makes a special solvent that is purported to dissolve "cured iso." Dunno if it works. Feel free to call them at 800-669-5709.

Di-methyl-formamide would do it, and it also takes the hide off of a mule (and probably your hands). Very hard to find.

oG
Posted: Dec 03, 2007 01:52 PM
well the antifreeze did absolutely nothing. I normaly use glycol ether eb for uncured iso and NMP for cured iso. They are more money but they work very well so I guess I will stick with them.

You need to login to reply to this topic. Please click here to login.